How To Add Custom Thumbnail Images To YouTube Videos
- by Joe Friedrichsen
Jul 14, 2017
So, you started using YouTube and want to take it to the next level!
Custom Thumbnails are a simple, small detail that can make a major difference! Often the original thumbnail preview image doesn’t look good. To solve that, we’re going to help you add a better image so more shoppers will want to press the play button on your YouTube videos.
Follow these 7 steps to add a custom thumbnail image to your YouTube videos.
1. Go to YouTube Studio
First, log in to your YouTube account. After you’re logged in, go to YouTube Studio.
2. Click “Videos” in YouTube Studio
3. Choose the video you want to edit
4. Click “Details” to edit the video you want to add a custom thumbnail to
5. Choose one of YouTube’s 3 preselected thumbnails OR the “Upload thumbnail” button to upload a custom thumbnail
6. Click the “Upload thumbnail” button and choose a file you’ve saved on your desktop
PRO TIP: If you want to use an image still from the video you’re adding a custom thumbnail image to:
- First, click on the video link from the video details screen to bring up the video
- Then, pause the video where you want to take a screenshot
- Next, find the desired still image
- After, crop the image using a snipping tool (we like Snagit, but you can use any tool) while the video is paused. Then save the file
- Finally, follow instructions from Step 5 above to add your image as a custom thumbnail
7. Click “Save”
Once saved, you’ll see your selected custom thumbnail image in the video preview.
Other Pro Tips!
- Consistency! Picking an image that can be consistent across all your thumbnails while still allowing the customer to know what the video is about is key!
- Clean! Do not overdo the image. People need to know what they are going to click on quickly!
- Size! The size of a custom thumbnail on YouTube should be 1280 x 720 with a minimum width of 640 pixels!
- Format! Be sure it is a JPG, GIF, BMP or PNG File!
Are you new to using video? Use these 6 video tips for beginners to get you started!
If you still need help, reach out to your Account Manager directly or our Sales team here. We’re more than happy to answer your questions!
Article last updated 1/23/2020